Tuesday, February 14, 2006

PSA for Students #6

Returning books is GOOD.

Keep that up.

We just have one small favor to ask you.

Could you please make sure to return the library book to the right library SYSTEM?

Meaning, if the book you checked out is from a public library three hours away, then maybe you shouldn't drop it off at Library X but instead drive back to that far off county and drop it off there or mail it back yourself.

Oh, and you can't return your video store rentals here either. You need to return them to the STORE that they came from. The case has a label with the address and phone number on it to help you find the store again. Take a second and look, and no, Library X won't forgive your video store fines.

Right now, whenever we get something that isn't University Z library material, we put it in lost and found, leave it there for several weeks, and then figure out what we'll do with it. Obviously, I am currently dealing with them.

(I am ignoring today's supposed holiday.)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Nike said...

Yeah, that's one of my favorite jobs too.
But I get to do ILL so they must figure I can ship things where ever they need to go.

9:12 PM, February 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I have that job too! In my case, once we have them for a few weeks, we can send them in to central shipping (we have 40+ branches) and they get to deal with them from there. It's all the coats and toys that are a bit more of a puzzle.

12:25 AM, February 15, 2006  
Blogger Librarian Girl said...

Aren't all library systems connected, peopled by librarian automatons and ultimately run by a large disembodied head that beams books back to their original locations using its gigantic, red, laser eyes? Mwah hah haaaaah!!!!

11:16 AM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Nike - I wonder too if it's some misconception about ILL that causes people to drop off any old library book at any old library. It's the video store rentals that truly confound me.

Kristy - I have different charities that I give the other lost and found stuff to. Clothing and toys go to Good Will. Books and DVDs to the public library sale, or it could go into Library X's collection. Cell phones go to a battered women's shelter, and eye glasses go to a charity that collects glasses.

Swordspoint - I would rather work circ than reference, though I do ref when the need arises. Circ is more cut and dry. I inevitably obsess over any reference question I get long after the student has left me.

Librarian girl - Large laser eyes? Has some one been sniffing the rubber cement glue again?

11:03 PM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

I want to go on a tour of Librarian Girl's library. Sounds fantastic!

11:39 AM, February 17, 2006  
Blogger Spike said...

Rented videos is nutty enough but coats and toys?! Perhaps a sign over the door saying 'You must have this many IQ points to enter this library' might help. No, wait, they can't read signs either.

6:12 PM, February 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home