Friday, September 15, 2006

Un-freaking-believable

Read these emails and be amazed.

The first e-mail is from my co-vampire. She quickly handed it off to me when the student lost all common sense.

1st email (written by co-vampire):

A bag was found in Library X containing a book and a receipt with your name on it. If these items belong to you, please come to the 4th floor circulation desk to retrieve them. They will be put in lost and found.

Here is the student's response:

I came into Library X last week and asked for the items that I had left behind. However, no one could find my items. Have they been found yet? If not, I think that I should be reimbursed for my anthropology book and sticker.

These items were no longer in my possession; thus, I feel that I am not responsible. Could you please email me back to let me know if they have been found or not.

Here is my (1st) response:

My co-vampire referred your problem to me as I am the unofficial person in charge of lost and found. Library X merely tries to reunite students with their lost belongings. We do this as a favor. We cannot be held responsible for lost items.

Our policy is: Neither Library X nor its staff may assume responsibility for the safekeeping of patrons' possessions. When you leave belongings in the library, you do so at your own risk.

I hope you find your book and sticker. Could someone else have possibly picked them up for you?

Here is the student's reply:

I received your email. I understand that Library X "tries to reunite students with their lost belongings" and really appreciate that someone found them. However, I still believe that your staff should assume responsibility for the safekeeping of my lost items since they were, in fact, in their possession.

I received an email from your co-vampire stating that someone had turned my bag, along with my receipt and name, to the front desk. She also informed me that they would be placed in the lost and found. When I went back a day later, my items were missing.

Thus, no one else picked them up. They were turned in to the library staff and were not in my possession. So, I believe this is an error on the Library X's staff, not my own. Could someone please contact me who can settle this issue immediately? Classes are underway, and I need this textbook for one of my classes.

Here is my (2nd) response:

You are mistaken in the library's role. Lost and found is not for safekeeping items. It is merely a place to gather all items left in the library so that they do not clutter up the floor. We do not assume responsibility for the items. We cannot be expected to make sure items are claimed by the rightful owners. We can only hope the items are claimed.

Since your items were not in our lost and found when you came to pick them up, they obviously were picked up by someone. We assume anyone who comes to claim an item is the owner of the item.

If you wish, you can make a report to university police.

Due to this incident, we will review and make changes to how we handle lost and found.

Please keep me informed of how this matter progresses. I am sorry your item has gone missing. Hopefully you will find it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot freaking believe that a student would assume such an ass backwards stance with this. SHE LOST HER BOOK. We tried to give it back to her. We didn't lose it. SHE DID.

I hope she reports it to UPD so the officers can have a good laugh.

I don't know what happened to her book.

She or a friend could have come by once and claimed it and then came by a second time to raise a stink. It seems very likely. I'd like to see her credit card statement to see if possibly there was a bookstore refund for the cost of an anthropology book.

I can't wait to see how she responds.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This summer a community colllege student's bag was stolen in our library. The girl kept insisting that we had survelliance tape we were just being mean and not showing it to her. Her reasoning was that her community college has videocameras and therefore our private university must have cameras. No one could convince her that we don't have survelliance cameras. Her mother wanted our library to pay for the student's textbooks. Why do these kids think they can go to the bathroom and leave all of there stuff unprotected? I feel your pain in not being able to get the personal responsibility point across.

4:49 PM, September 16, 2006  
Blogger Kathy said...

I am constantly amazed at how people wander off and leave their stuff in the library expecting it to be okay. My son, who should know better is as bad as everyone else, leaving computers in study rooms and then going to dinner. What's up with that?

And to assume that Library X should be responsible for her book is ridiculous -- you didn't lose it -- she did. Although I might consider making anyone who comes to the lost and found describe the item to you and then show you their id if you don't already do that.

3:31 PM, September 17, 2006  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Katya,

We don't make them show us ID, but they have to give us a pretty good description to claim something, mainly because we got so much freaking stuff to go through. Maybe we should require ID when the person's name is known for an item.

Just as an aside, I don't suspect the student assistants. We have had loose money in lost and found that stayed there months without anyone taking it, so the idea that one of our students would take a textbook clearly labeled with a student's name and the information that she had been emailed seems highly unlikely.

3:48 PM, September 17, 2006  
Blogger Spike said...

This student has a serious case of Head Up Arse.

1:40 AM, September 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home