Monday, November 13, 2006

So I Get this Call after Midnight…

Me: Hello, this is Library X, the Vampire Librarian speaking.

Student: Hi, um, I’m calling from Big Research Library.

I look at the clock.

Me: Big Research Library is closed.

Student: Yeah, I know. I’m locked in.

Me: Oh…

Student: I fell asleep, and when I woke up, all the lights were off, and the doors were locked. Could someone come let me out?

Me: Unfortunately, Library X doesn’t have a key to Big Research Library. I’ll call UPD. They should be by shortly to let you out. Are you at the main entrance?

Student: I’m calling from the circ desk phone.

Me: Okay, an officer should be there shortly.

Student: Thanks…

Dial UPD’s non-emergency number.

Dispatcher: UPD, how may I help you?

Me: Hi, I’m the Vampire Librarian at Library X, and I just got a call from a student saying she’s locked inside Big Research Library. Could you send an officer to let her out?

Dispatcher (chuckling lightly): Did she just wake up?

Me: Yeah.

Dispatcher: Where is she?

Me: Waiting at the main entrance.

Dispatcher: Did you get her name?

Me: No, I didn’t think to ask, but whoever’s there needs to be let out.

Dispatcher chuckles some more.

Kyle has been listening to my half of the conversation this whole time.

Kyle: Student locked in?

Me: Yeah, they wanted to know her name.

Kyle: What like they go in looking for Sarah and say, ‘Oh sorry, Jennifer, you’ll have to stay’?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

At least she wasn't crying about it.

11:11 AM, November 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, could have been worse.

We once locked some idiot up in our public library at closing. He somehow didn't notice that the lights went off and there was no more sound. :rolleyes:

And his wife went hysterical outside, completely losing it because her idiot husband was locked in the library for 5 minutes. He had access to restrooms, phones, heck, he had food and internet access if he'd wanted.

Hardly worth the wife's hysteria.

2:22 PM, November 14, 2006  
Blogger Theory of Man said...

pretty good

1:31 AM, November 15, 2006  
Blogger loofrin said...

hey, at least she didn't start screaming and pounding on the doors...

funny story.

12:25 AM, November 16, 2006  
Blogger Librarian Girl said...

This is why we give our library a walk-through every night. I always feel bad waking people up.

1:29 PM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

In Big Research Library's defense, there's no way to do a walk through. It's over five stories with LOTS of nooks and crannies and only a few students working at closing.

4:47 PM, November 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home