Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Lost and Found Envy


Currently we have an iPod shuffle in lost and found.

I haven't joined the iPod Nation yet because the price has always deterred me, and I have no everyday reason to wear one. I don't run or walk. If I shelved, it would be nice, but no part of my life would be dramatically improved by owning an iPod, but this one is so small and cute that it is very tempting to come up with a reason.

When other iPods have found their way to our lost and found drawer, I glanced at them and said, "Heh." This one fooled me. I didn't even know it was an iPod at first. Sure the headphones were still connected, but it's so small. I played with it and listened to some of the music. And then I looked at the price. The Apple store has them listed at $79 with free engraving and shipping and handling. Not too shabby. I want one, but I don't want to get it and then not use it.

The Shuffle has been in lost and found for a couple of weeks now. The student workers have all laid dibs on it. If it's here for much longer, I'm gonna have to do a raffle to see who gets it.

Now, I have tried to find the owner. I even called Apple customer service to see if they could contact the owner or something, but they couldn't help me. They suggested I post flyers, but I'm loathe to do that because no one looks at flyers, and I don't want to have to start doing that with every high dollar item that lands in lost and found.

UPD cannot guarantee reuniting the owner with the iPod. They can't get the information from Apple either. The owner has to report it lost or stolen for them to know to possibly get it back to them.

So I'm stuck with this iPod for now, and I want it. Why do the students taunt me so? They leave all this cool, neat stuff, and I drool over it. It's just not fair. Why can't I have nice toys? Oh that's right, I work in a library.

Other things in lost and found: various camera phones, thumb drives, and a Toshiba laptop.

(I just picked up the laptop. It had a freaking note from the student saying, "I left my stuff at the first table by the window. Move there if you wanna." Are you freaking kidding me? It's now sitting on my desk with the text books she'd left at the other table. I cannot believe these students sometimes.)

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

The iPod is definitely cute and tiny. I have a video iPod which I love but I listen to a lot of music.

The nerve of that student, writing a note like that. I can never get over the fact that they just leave their stuff around like that -- like they think it's going to be safe just because it's in the library.

Are you done with training?

9:04 AM, March 20, 2007  
Blogger The Topiary Cow said...

The Land of Topiary thinks anything left in the library should belong to the Vampire Librarian, as an object lesson--here today, gone tomorrow!

Moo!

4:04 PM, March 20, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

I'm almost done with training. Just have to take my test and it's over.

I wouldn't mind owning the shuffle, but all of the desk students are drooling over it. I've gotten a lot of other nice stuff from lost and found. I need to share.

4:45 PM, March 21, 2007  
Blogger librarian pirate said...

I used to feel as you do about iPods, but then I was given a Zoon, and boy oh boy do I use it all the time! I listen to audio books on it and it's doubled the amount of books I get through. I like to pretend it's making me a better librarian, but really I'm just enjoying listening to something fun while puttering about the house or walking to work.

11:54 AM, March 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had an iPod for a few years now, and it's one of the best electronic gadgets I ever bought. I use it all the time (battery still works), listening while taking walks, listening while at my desktop PC at work (plug it in back and use the desktop speakers), and as a removable storage device as well. It's a handy gadget to have.

10:46 AM, March 23, 2007  
Blogger loofrin said...

I love my iPod. it certainly does make the time go by. I recommend you get one.

7:37 PM, March 23, 2007  
Blogger MadameBoffin said...

I have an mp3 player (not an iPod) and I use mine whenever I'm on the train or the bus on my way to work. You can plug an iPod into your car and play music through your car speakers too, if you want. Trust me, if you get one, you'll use it :)

7:00 AM, March 25, 2007  
Blogger jess said...

Um, you do not have to share - especially after reading your rant on the breaks.
I think "theo owner" should "reclaim" it - too bad, it's gone.
But I'm evil.

10:49 AM, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Thanks, Jessica and welcome to my dark little blog.

This was obviously posted at a time when my eye wasn't twitching over something the student assts had done.

The i-Pod 'disappeared' and not into my pocket. I don't know what happened to it. The boss may have decided to do something with it.

12:13 PM, July 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home