Thursday, July 26, 2007

Dangerous Knowledge

Y'know, there's nothing like finding out after the fact that you yelled at a convicted rapist.

There should be some sort of warning on registered sex offender websites that says something to the effect, "Look at your own risk. You might recognize someone. And then how will you feel?"

I checked the sex offender website for my state the other day because the police were in looking for someone and wanted to know if he used the computers here and whatnot. They said he was a registered sex offender. I wanted to look him up and alert my co-workers to keep an eye out for him.

Instead, I found the picture of a temp that had briefly worked here, a temp that I broke down hard on for not doing his job. I really laid into this guy. Now I know he has been convicted of 4 counts of rape several years ago. Needless to say, I am extremely creeped out, a little scared, and going everywhere with my Mag-lite. I haven't seen the guy since I confronted him, and it was months ago during exams, but still, I am rattled.

I wish I hadn't found this out. The guy does not work at Library X anymore. I've told my boss about what I found, and he's going to look to see if the guy is still used anywhere on campus and alert others, but this does not erase the fact that I unknowingly got into the face of a rapist. It just freaks me out.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think that should stop you from living life, or doing your job. You can't second guess, you can only make decisions based on the situation at hand at the time.

After seeing how many people use prison furlough cards as IDs to access the Internet where I work, I'd say that we all deal with a lot of people we would rather not be dealing with on a daily basis... And those are only the ones who have been convicted.

Add in the patrons I know about who have contagious incurable afflictions, and it makes me hesitant to interact with anyone... But you can't live life like that.

Most of the time knowledge is power, but sometimes ignorance is truly bliss.

9:31 PM, July 26, 2007  
Blogger Spike said...

If he jumps yer, do him with the maglite. That'll learn him.

1:36 AM, July 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would think he would be less likely to come after you because he knows you won't back down. They want a victim. Keep your chin up and don't let that weasel get you down.

2:44 PM, July 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's disapponting to discover that the world isn't a nice place, but now that you know, have a plan in case something happens. just like you might prepare for a fire in the library. some people run from the flames and some grab the extinguisher and fight: choose your path and prepare for it. unless he has a cross or garlic, then you're screwed :). (sorry, I know it's not funny.)

8:59 PM, July 29, 2007  
Blogger J said...

The first anonymous is right on - rapists, molesters, and other predators are looking for easy shots. For the most part, they are easily scared off and will not even start an assault if there is a chance of serious resistance.

If you had been all wimp-out on him, he would have been more emboldened. The fact that you got up in his grill and didn't back down just crossed you off his list of targets.

6:00 PM, August 03, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Thanks everyone. Your comments have reassured me. I'm not going to worry about it anymore. Hopefully something like this will never happen again.

3:48 PM, August 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home