Monday, September 24, 2007

Meditating in the Library?

Students do a lot more than just study in Library X. If you've been reading this blog for any amount of time, you'll know this. They come here to party, procrastinate, hook-up...and meditate?

I found this sheet of paper when I was walking through the library:



If you look at the enlarged images, you will find someone has written the word Ram 108 times and Kleem 324 times, though the Kleems are broken up into sets of 108.

As you can imagine, this sheet of neatly written words piqued my curiosity. I couldn't find anything definitive on Ram in this context, but I did find some stuff out about Kleem. It seems to be some sort of mantra used to attract people. If said/written in sets of 108, a person attracts friends and/or lovers. The meditator is supposed to ultimately say/write the term 10 million times then, he or she will attract relationships from all three worlds. I don't know what the three worlds are, but it all seems kind of fishy, especially since in this same article you can hire Brahmin priests to do the chanting/writing for you. Yes, meditation by proxy. It boggles the mind, though I believe Christianity has an equivalent of this, though I don't think it's broken down into a price list.

So I have two possibilities with this sheet. Either I have a lonely college student trying to attract friends and lovers, or a poor college student trying to earn a little extra cash. Kyle would not let me put the sheet in lost and found. He found the sheet off putting and wanted me to get rid of it immediately. He especially hated hearing what I found out about Kleem. I'm not sure what I think about the whole thing. It seems odd to me and a little sad. I'm pretty sure the student is doing this for his or her own benefit and not for someone else. The fact that a student would resort to chanting and writing a word hundreds of times in the hopes of attracting friends and/or lovers seems pathetic, but maybe I'm being too harsh. Maybe the student is well adjusted and really believes in the power of meditation. I just hope that he or she is not pinning all of their hopes on this simple word solving all of their relationship woes.

Here is a link to a Youtube video explaining Kleem.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Michael Pujals said...

Send it to Found Magazine http://www.foundmagazine.com/

1:57 PM, September 26, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

What an interesting website! I've been enjoying it. I will think about sending it.

10:34 PM, September 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kleem is a powerful mantra, especially when employed to help others. I really am glad Datta made it available for all of us. I use it for others: ie attract food for starving, attract homes for homeless, etc. I've seen it work too, (long story which I'll spare you)

2:48 PM, November 28, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Well, if it's able to be used for those things, then you are a very generous individual, anon, and thank you for adding your your say. I couldn't find much information about Kleem so I wasn't aware it could be used for other purposes.

To expand a little on my post, what's off putting for me is that Library X is a very busy, bustling place. To imagine someone sitting in a carrel with people all around, performing this meditation to attract friends makes me feel sad. Just sitting with your head up and a welcoming smile will usually generate a few interactions pretty easily here.

But if they're doing it to attract world peace, then I may join them.

3:38 AM, November 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home