Wednesday, December 12, 2007

FreeRice.com

Kyle (one of my co-workers) clued me into this website. It's an addictive word knowledge game. I highly recommend it.

And you know, if your boss tells you to stop goofing off, you can tell him, "But I'm ending world hunger!" That should put him in his place.

I've reached level 46! And have dropped to 15. This isn't a game I'd recommend playing while drunk. But if you read a lot of your mom's Barbara Cartland books while growing up (because there was nothing else about to read), then get ready to rule this game. At least, I think it was the Cartland books that taught me what mincing, waggish, rakish, hostler, phaeton, bunco, tog, and collywobbles meant.

If you're a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan, there's a few words in there for you like chanterelle, effulgent, and troika.

And I have a new favorite word - Frigorific.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip! If you haven't the time to play but you still feel like giving try The Hunger Site. It's worth the click.

11:54 PM, December 11, 2007  
Blogger The Imaginary Blog said...

Great game!

Love your blog, by the way (the golf pencils entry has to be a classic). Reading it is a great way to spend a frigorific day!

9:39 AM, December 14, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Thanks, imaginary blog! Stay warm and toasty.

4:55 PM, December 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, those were MY Barbara... Cartland... novels...! And good as they were for learning how to abuse ellipses, the best source for Increasing Your Word Power was Georgette Heyer, the Queen of the Regency novel.

Hope your break is a good one. Mine is starting off right, lots of naps and novels.--
SoCal Sis

1:52 AM, December 22, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Oh God, I'd forgotten that I'd read Charity Girl.

My break's been good! I've gotten my X-mas shopping done. That's a relief. My brother wants to take me frisbee golfing this weekend. I only know how they do it here at UZ: Have a few beers, wait until dark, pick random targets, throw frisbees, and maybe hit Vampire Librarian in the head, but she is not a target. Just a bonus.

2:08 AM, December 22, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

My brother says there are actual rules! Color me astonished.

2:10 AM, December 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home