Friday, January 25, 2008

Proper attire, what's that?

Happy Villain, over at If I Ran the Universe..., has a great tirade about patrons wearing their pajamas to the library. I was laughing my ass off and thinking, "Dear God, don't ever come to Library X."

I regularly see students walking around in flip flops in below freezing weather, and the kids come here in their jam jams all the time. It's easier to sleep here when properly attired I guess. Sometimes they even bring pillows and blankets. I only know this because they inevitably leave these items for lost and found. I swear some of these kids go around all year wearing shorts, T-shirts, and flip flops. Just to be clear, we get snow here. Not a lot, but it happens. You wouldn't be able to tell by what some students wear.

Just the other night, I was snickering at a girl who paired a heavy fleece pullover with itty bitty grey shorts. The fleece was almost longer than the shorts. And she came in complaining about the cold as she pulled out her wedgies. She may have been wearing Uggs as well. I think somebody still needs her mommy to dress her.

And on a slightly random note, I currently have a laundry basket in lost and found. It's empty, but why is it here? Did we get a washer and dryer that I don't know about? Is that why the students ask for change so much?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

... Laundry basket! :-)

I'm going to have to check our lost and found. I've had numerous requests from my readers who want another post about its contents.

8:22 AM, January 25, 2008  
Blogger Lisa said...

A washer & dryer at a university library! What a fabulous customer-centered idea!! (Don't let anyone In Charge get a hold of that idea.)

8:34 AM, January 25, 2008  
Blogger Happy Villain said...

Thanks for the referral!

I bet you see worse pajama-y attire than I do. College kids are notorious for the rolling-out-of-bed for anything mentality. I once worked with a college kid who wore sweats and a T-shirt for a week solid before changing because he had little money for laundry (though a ton of clothes), and frequently admitted to "brushing his teeth" by eating Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies, which he thought got rid of his morning breath. It didn't.

1:52 PM, January 25, 2008  
Blogger Kathy said...

We get the pajamas too. But what gets me is the flip flops. Admittedly, I am in Alabama, but still! It gets cold here, put something on your feet! You're making me cold.

2:47 PM, January 25, 2008  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Woeful, I'm sure you have some gems in your lost and found. It's only a matter of being brave enough to look.

Lisa, well, if get rid of the books as has been discussed, we'll need to fill the space with something...

Happy Villain, that sounds like classic college behavior. I think I know your guy.

Katya, flip flops are like the unoffical shoe of the college student, aren't they? I ask the students sometimes if they're feet are cold, and they say no. They don't feel anything. I think it's due to frost bite.

4:08 PM, January 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

" [...] as she pulled out her wedgies"

Are we talking about *shoes* here...or something else....

10:58 PM, February 10, 2008  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

cph,

I'm unfortunately talking about something else. We have some real refined ladies here.

4:05 AM, February 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home