Monday, March 17, 2008

Copier Offence

This story was related to me by a trusted student, and I have to share it with you.

He and a fellow art student needed to use a copier for a project and went to one of the small subject libraries to do it. The art department's copier was broken, and this library had the closest public copier. They brought special paper to use, so began opening drawers to load their paper. As soon as they'd closed the drawers, a librarian rushed out and said, "Stop!" She told them that they couldn't use their paper because it would cause a paper jam.

The other student decided to ignore the request of the librarian and attempted to make her copies anyway. The copier jammed.

How did the librarian react? She called the police. You read that right. She called the cops for a paper jam.

The police came, spoke to the students, and charged them with...nothing.

I wonder what the librarian said to the dispatcher. I mean do the cops really stop by if you tell them you have a paper jam? The student said the cop didn't seem to know exactly why he was called in. Once he understood, he let the students go.

I wonder what else this library has called the cops for. Coffee spills? Paper cuts? Loud thinking?

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is wacky.

6:31 AM, March 18, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Someone has a serious power issue, apparently. Calling the cops because someone jams up your copier? Ridiculous.

7:35 AM, March 18, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would not necessarily rush and judge the librarians. Sure, it may be a bit extreme, then again, if the jam actually broke the printer, that is state property (at least here it is state property) the user just ruined and will get charged for (and we do say it, if you choose to open the printer and break it, you are liable). Here, we do have big signs saying you can't open the printers for any reason. Sure, I've never had to call the cops, and I don't think I will. But if they get belligerent, I am not above calling them.

8:49 AM, March 18, 2008  
Blogger Kathy said...

We have this lock attachment on our public copiers, so you have to have a key to be able to open the drawers. I'd be annoyed that the student didn't listen to me and went ahead and caused a paper jam but I wouldn't call the police over it.

6:04 PM, March 20, 2008  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

See, this seems really outrageous to me becuase if we have the same copiers, looking at the thing funny can cause paper jams. The drawers are just badly designed. It isn't necessarily the type of paper in it, just bad copiers. Also hasn't anyone heard of the bypass tray? I mean seriously, use that, it's easier to determine how to orient the paper, and I think it's very forgiving of the type of paper used because you know, that's its purpose.

6:37 PM, March 20, 2008  
Blogger The Library Guy said...

If this librarian worked at my college, she could issue a $25 fine for not following the instructions of a college official performing his or her duties.

2:26 PM, March 25, 2008  
Blogger The_Myth said...

...and the students can be turned in to the Dean of Students for a Code of Conduct violation by misusing University property [at least on some campuses].

I vote "Idiot Students" on this one.

And did she call the Police...or Campus Security?

As mentioned above, she might be held responsible [in some way] for the breakage.

Oh, and just because it's a "trusted student" doesn't mean s/he isn't as susceptible to urban legends as any other student.

12:02 AM, July 24, 2008  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Thanks for your comment, The_Myth. To answer your questions, it was the cops. We have a police dept. We would not be held responsible for broken public copiers. Public copiers are not controled by the library, but the librarian could've handled it so much better. I know the student. I think this really happened. And our copiers and printers suck. So it's a sucky situation all around. I feel both sides' pain.

12:14 AM, July 24, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home